Well, it certainly has been awhile. The last team I finished, was the Humans and they were done around late July/early August. My hope was to have 4 teams finished this year, but for a variety of reasons that hasn’t happened. Still, 3 is better than a half team!
This team was a bit similar to the Humans, in that I had purchased a few minis that were partially painted off of Ebay. One was fully painted, and I kind of liked him, so he’s pretty much been untouched. The others barely had base paints, and have been completely redone. There are some other notes about the team, but I will get to those as I post more pictures up.
Now, onto our first post. “Reroll tokens, balls, and markers!”. Oh joy!
I ‘m sure I’ve said this, but this could be the last time I paint up this many Reroll tokens. I have enough of those tokens for three teams now, so there isn’t much point in going over board on these. Yes, it would be super cool to have matching tokens for every single team, but I also have a ton to paint still.
Also, there are two spare completely silver ones (one under the other), which I would use for the odd ‘Leader’ and other rerolls that Coaches can gain under special circumstances. It’s nice to have that extra token for when you need to keep track of things separately.
Fairly standard stuff for me at this point. Easier to paint than the Chaos ones were, that’s for sure! I tried to go a little lighter, as I noticed I had painted a lot of stuff very dark and dingy. That worked well for Necromunda, but a sports game like Blood Bowl should be a bit more flamboyant. Something I’ll probably keep trying to work on.
Turn and Score markers (interchangeable). The ‘Dead Elf head on a stone spike’ just sorta came to me. I should have wrote 2020 on top of his skull, to really nail it home. 😉
You’re right, the skin colors are a bit different. I’ve always preferred the “Black Orcs’ on the team to be a different in skin tone than the rest of the ‘Ordinary Orcs’. So, I used these to test out my skin tones, and it worked perfectly on the first go. Thanks to a tip from Wudugast on his recipe for Orc skin and a quick reference of the GW Paint App!
In hindsight, I might have added some bits of rust to them, but they will do.
The bases got previewed in my Basing Detour post awhile back. They are my now standard weighted bases with Vallejo Dark Earth texture on top. Some wash, paint, and good to go. I did try mixing GW’s Agrellan textures with the Vallejo to see if that would help the ‘meringue topping effect’ that I ran into with the Vallejo texture. But it didn’t have much effect at all. My next experiment will likely be adding some micro beads to the texture. The crackle Agrellan texture did produce some variation, and you will see how those got painted up in future posts.
Lastly, we have the balls. There’s a free-standing spike football that is the norm for Blood Bowl. Though the Orc one is a bit more primitive, made up of different sewn together bits.
But why so many?! Few reasons for that. One, you get a ton of these, as they have a few on each sprue. The other is Blitz Bowl Season 2 has rules for Special Balls now too. So, instead of having to fish the extra balls out of my Blood Bowl stuff, I decided I would paint one up for each.
The Orc’s special ball is a “Squig ball”. Apparently they chopped one leg off and he hops a bit, so there’s an additional rule when using this special ball. It’s the first time I’ve painted up a Squig, and not knowing too much about them, I just went off of pics I’ve seen online. I was going to paint one red and one orange…but alas so many things that I’m keeping track of in my head these days that I completely forgot!
Some of these balls come with a little peg so that you can stick them in the Blood Bowl bases with peg holes. Sure, fine. But what do you do when they are on the field, leave them lopped over?! I was never crazy about that. Especially since I don’t use the peg holes in the bases anyways. So I found some small metal discs, then took some sculpting material…and before you know it, I had another nice little detour of a side project! On the plus side, I fixed up all the balls to date. I also put enough sculpting material under each one, that they should land top up no matter how you plop them down. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have used those balls with the pegs before, but now they work pretty well and it will be nice to paint some of those up as well.
That wraps up that. I think the next several posts will be about the Orc team. I’ve got a few more odds and ends that detracted me from finishing the Orcs, but I might save those for afterwards.