While visiting my brother, he rounded up all his old painted minis and let me borrow the box of them to share on the blog.
From Left to Right: Sahuagin 2 (11-443b), Sahuagin 1 (11-443a), Sahuagin 4 (11-443d)
From pics I found of Sahuagin 1, it looks like it is supposed to have a spear and net, but got a weapon swap instead? Odd, because I can’t imagine my brother doing weapon swaps, but who knows?
I really liked these minis and they make great monster minions. Which is exactly what we used them for in our dungeon crawl game. I think they were a race that could leap over other people, and cause quite a bit of havoc.
Tangent – You can’t go back
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
Well, we would likely say “no one…not the same person” nowadays, to be more inclusive, but it’s still a pretty good quote. Maybe it’s as I get older, or since I’ve been working at the same place for a number of years, that I have developed this ‘Old self vs Current self routine’ at times. I’ll look at work that I did in the past and wonder what the heck I was thinking. There has been the very rare occasion where I go “Whoa! That was brilliant!”, but often not. Sometimes it seems so out there from what I’m currently doing, that it feels like I’m looking at the work of an errant clone. This might happen with a lot of people in different professions, but I feel like it’s really applicable in programming. Especially when you’re the sole programmer and having to revisit your own code on a regular basis. What seemed like a great solution 6 months ago, might not look so great today.
Happens with minis too. First off, for the people who have a large enough pile of half painted minis that they are constantly going back to, I bow before you!
I’m tackling my Blood Bowl Dwarves again this month (should have a post before the end of the week). They were partially painted from previous excursions, dating back to around June 2017. It’s nice to be making some headway on them after such a long time, but trying to figure out what I had done previously, with different minis at different stages, was a bit of a headache. I had some ideas of paints I had used, from posts on my blog. But I hadn’t started a painting journal at that point. In my painting journal, I try to be more consistent about ratios of wash to Flowaid. How many coats of wash I apply, etc. Since I didn’t have that, I just had to wing it. Apply a thin coat of wash. Nope. Apply some more. Nope. Try again. A bit of a pain.
Also I noticed that I probably improved technically as a painter. I’m still not sure if that is from putting a lot of time in, tips from fellow hobbyists, or a difference in the tools I’m using. More than likely some combination of all three. My lines are a lot steadier, way fewer mistakes overall. Best of all, I know how to quick fix mistakes, which is something I wasn’t good at in the past. Alas, that means I’m working to fix those mistakes as much as possible, and still have some minis to show by the end of the month.
I guess if there is any takeaway from my rambling, it would be ‘Do you keep some sort of painting journal?‘. If so, how often do you use it and what sort of entries do you put in there?
For myself, when I’m on point, I will add an entry after each paint session. It might look something like this:
10/28 Blood Bowl Dwarves – Layer of VGC Charred Brown over brown areas. Touch-up Gold.
Though when I was working on the Necromunda Van Saar gang, my journal entries also included the name of the specific mini (“Necro-VanSaar-Johan” vs “Blood Bowl Dwarves”). I found that even more helpful, as maybe I did some hair or something else that I liked on that one mini, and might want to recreate that same recipe later. That means that I need to have some identifier for the mini in question though. With Necromunda, I just used the name from the GW box, and taped that to the mini handling base I was using. For Blood Bowl, that might be a little trickier. One, there tends to be a lot of linemen. But I might start using some shorthand like “L2” (Lineman #2), and also label the mini handling base. One other benefit with this approach (and probably why I started labelling in the first place), is keeping track of the bits when using a subassembly painting method. If you’ve never heard of that, check out this video:
By attaching a label to the base, I could make sure that I wasn’t mixing up the wrong parts later. Which did happen back then with the Dwarves, and I ended up painting the beard on a detached head piece, a different color from the hair. And returning to that particular mini after a long while, I couldn’t figure out the hair color I had used to make them the same. So more work there for a partial repaint. Again, hats off to those of you who do this on a regular basis! For myself, I’m going to keep trying to document my paint process in a journal.