I completed a team of 6 Necromunda Goliath gang members, as part of Azazel’s Junit Miniature painting challenge: https://doubledowndice.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/necromunda-goliaths-pt-05-azazels-june-junit-unit-challenge-completed/
This post is an addendum to the one above, as there were a few items I had forgotten. One of the guy’s shoulder didn’t come out the way I wanted and needed a small bit. I forgot to add a song dedication, ala Mark A. Morin (kudos man!). Lastly, I have been playing around with the smartphone camera, trying to snap better pics, and I think I might be on to something.
Mark A. Morin has cleverly added a ‘song dedication’ in some of his posts. I thought that’s a great way to mark an accomplishment of completing a miniature painting project. As well as adding some atmosphere to the piece, and sharing a bit of one’s musical tastes.
For the Goliaths, I went with a band I once listened to, that was a bit dark, edgy, and electronic. The lead singer certainly looks to be Goliath material.
So this guy’s shoulder ended up looking a little weird to me.
Doctor sez “Your right deltoid needs some fixing!”
I fiddled with it, added some green stuff, yada, yada. At some angles it looks just fine, but others “wonky”. Several people kindly suggested some fixes and IRO (aka the Imperial Rebel Orc) pointed out that it’s situated the same on the Games Workshop site. The difference is that they threw a shoulder pad on top of his shoulder to “fix it”! Yea, it was all a little maddening, but in the end things worked out and I’m good with what he looks like now:
Shoulder pads for the win
Photography is not a four-letter word
Or at least it shouldn’t be. It certainly has been a tricky one for me. I might write up a Tool Tips at some point with all the trials and tribulations, but for today…just wanted to share a couple decent pics I managed to snap. Will I be able to continue getting decent pics next time?! Don’t ask. Just don’t ask.
Before we launch in, I just want to share the following post that really helped me to snap some nice photos. Ross’s post seemingly popped into my WordPress Reader at just the right time, and touched on a few things I was missing. Like I said, there might be more stuff for a Tool Tips later on.
And here’s the pics!
I like how the skin colors are showing up this time around, and not too much overexposure. Detail is a bit sharper too.
As a test, I took a pic against the old backdrop I had had been using. The mini is still looking a little better in the photo, but I’m not liking the drab effect of that backdrop. The Necromunda box background is a bit too busy though, so I’ll be looking for something else.
New photo tricks with old backdrop
Lastly here’s a comparison shot between one of the older photos and the newest.
(Newest photo on the left, Older photo on the right)
The colors in the photo on the right look pretty washed out. Like I said, I don’t think the backdrop was necessarily helping there either. The new photo on the right, looks much closer to the colors of the actual model. The rust and skin colors are showing up nicely. The only issue on that particular photo is that the base is much darker than it should be. I can probably fix that easily by adjusting the light angle.
Thanks for checking out the addendum to the Goliath gangers posts. Hope you had fun following along, and the next wave of Van Saar ganger posts should be coming out soon. Good luck with all your projects!