The eagle eyed amongst you, might have noticed something unusual on the Goliath minis. Granted, you would have to be pretty familiar with the minis to really notice. If I did manage to sneak it by, then my hope of concealing the small change paid off!
So what did I change? Like a comic supervillain I will now reveal my master plan. Feel free to try and escape in the meantime!
Gotta love Doctor Doom!
Like most games, the characters (gangers) in Necromunda can be outfitted with different equipment and weapons. The Necromunda set comes with different little bits such as frag and krak grenades, knives, respirators, and stim stashes. Pretty cool stuff.
Mmmmmmm, war gear.
While building the models, I didn’t want to limit a model by permanently gluing equipment to them. Solution? Magnets!
Yes, I added magnets to the minis. Specifically on their belts. The magnets I had were either a little too big or a little too small, some quick online shopping took care of that issue.
Placing the magnets, I determined that the back of the mini would be the best bet. So on the first mini, I placed two magnets on the belt by drilling out small holes. Then I thought that was overkill and only placed one for each of the following minis. Of course, I had the “bright idea” to place magnets after some initial painting *sigh*, and had to repaint some of those minis. Luckily, the other 3 minis were just primed, so I could add the magnets and reprime those areas pretty easily.
Conversion/Custom work is best done *before* painting!
Then how do I attach the gear to the belt? Another magnet? Too bulky for tiny equipment pieces. So I added a small metal wire to the “underside” of each item. Painted it to match the rest of the item, in the interest of concealing the wire.
Little wires glued to the war gear pieces. Then (re) primed with some brush on primer.
All in all, things seemed to go pretty well and the items hold nicely. My main worry was paint scratching off the magnet, so I might need to invest in something more durable than the Dullcote spray.
Around that time I didn’t have access to my paints, thanks to house guests taking up all the rooms. I did have the Orlock box that I had smuggled out though. So I decided to take a stab at building one….and it looks like some of their gear is molded onto the model. Also, checking out the Van Saar later on, it looks like their grenades are pretty tiny and would probably end up getting lost if not glued to the model. So my experiment was a bit unsuccessful. Boo!
It looks like I’ll just glue grenades and wargear items on the models as fashion items from here on out, and the actual items they are carrying will be listed on the character sheet.
Sometimes these things work and sometimes they don’t. Even though I won’t be using it on future models, I’m still glad I gave it a try and it’s another experience I can tack onto my ‘modelling skill belt’. It’s also a badge that the Goliath minis can proudly wear, boasting “We were the first!”.