Drops in a bucket. This has been a hard month to get painting time in. This coming weekend could be down to 0 time, with the relatives coming to visit. Will see.
Last week I was able to:
Get some red applied to clothes and touch up some gold armor. On the gold, I recalled that it can be difficult to paint. You don’t want to thin gold too much, or it will run all over the model and leave gold sparklies everywhere. However, it also dries really easy and starts to become a clumpy mess. Metal paints, so finicky.
I’m a little worried that the gold might have gone on too thick and ended up obscuring some details. Next time I really need to base coat and then apply the gold over the top. Lessons to learn (over and over).
Put your back into it.
So I had thought it made sense to paint that square on the back as a ‘gem’. Then afterwards I thought it didn’t look quite right and that I should paint it as something else. Some browsing online, and it looks like some people were painting the ‘back thing’ as a metal plate. Hmmm. Some gold over the purple, and I think I got something that looks much better. The leftmost pic, I haven’t darkened the straps of the leather yet, but once I do, I think it will look good. The pic on the right has a Troll-slayer with a gold plate and darkened leather straps, which is what the end result will be for all of them now. I’ll also be adding a number on that back plate with water slide decals. It will be my first try at water decals on minis, so hopefully it all goes well. Most likely I’ll darken the gold a bit more and use white colored numbers for appropriate contract.
This has also opened up my eyes about the gem pieces on the minis. Instead of just coloring them all purple to blend in with the red, I’ll be painting them different colors (green, pink, light blue, etc.). This will give each mini an accent and help differentiate them. Between that and different colors of hair/bears, there should be enough uniqueness in each mini.
Do not despair.
As I stated to add the base red to another mini (the one above), I noticed how blotchy and horrible it looked on this first coat. I tried to snap a pic, but you can only barely see where the white is showing through on his upper sleeve. I was feeling pretty bad about it, at the time, but then looked at my other minis that have come farther and reminded myself that they really do end up looking better as additional coats and washes get applied. Things start to even out over time.
Makes me wonder if a number of first time painters get totally discouraged at the start and drop painting altogether. Just my way of saying ‘keep going! things will get better!”. There aren’t too many mistakes that you can’t recover from. I think the worst is a dab of black in the wrong spot (if you’ve primed in white). Even that you could paint back over with some white/white primer and then resume painting. Usually when I get that errant dab, I take a nearby paper towel and try to wipe most of it off. Doesn’t work perfectly, but it’s usually enough that I can repaint the area and it will be fine afterwards.