Under the Slow Brush: pt. 1

Under the Slow Brush: pt. 1

So folks over at Wyrd Stones & Tackle Zones (WSTZ) started posting progress shots of their miniature projects. I love this sort of stuff, as it tends to give me inspiration for my own projects and I just love to see behind the scenes work in general. Yes, I’m the one who (used to) watch all the additional content crammed onto a movie DVD. Sometimes even listening to the extra audio tracks. I say “used to”, because the addition of a toddler to our life has shown us just how little time there is in a day.

Ok, so back on track. I saw the posts on WSTZ and had messaged Mikey, encouraging him to keep posting more. Then I mentioned that I was working on a Dwarf team and would eventually post….which he then said I should just post, so it will keep me on task. Erm, yea, I should do that! Unfortunately my progress has been horribly slow, but maybe that will push me a little more.

Work of the first weekend.

On the first weekend I managed to get base colors applied to a few minis. Scarlett Red and Glorious Gold. The one other plus about blogging this, is that I will have a decent record of what paints I’ve been using if I ever need to add a new member or touch up something. As noted a long time ago, I had been struggling with paint schemes for this team and applying colors over a brown primer.

After going back to white primer, things appear to be more on track. I’ll likely wash the red and gold with some brown, and go from there. I think the wash will help tie the two colors in a little more to my liking.

It isn’t much, but I’m happy with the progress and that I don’t have to go back and restrip these miniatures for the millionth time.  I can see some potential.

Work of the second weekend.

Well, unfortunately even less work on my second attempt. I blame the lack of air conditioning (90F in our house!) and a toddler who couldn’t sleep for some sloppy work on the Troll Slayer. I did find the way I left the Troll Slayer to dry pretty funny, reminded me of some of the crazy Wardancer poses I’ve seen. Anyways, so this weekend I started on the base flesh, with the idea of getting the Troll Slayer to a point where I could maybe glue him together (no dice yet). Also started work on belts, which is more time consuming for me.

On the solo dwarf, it turned out pretty decent, and I think I just need to hit it once again with another layer and maybe a wash. Probably something dark so that there is a nice contract between the gold and the straps.

For the feet and bottom leg, I’m still not sure what I’m doing. Either more red on the lower leg, which will give him a utility suit look (but easier to do) or a greyish paint, and then he looks like he has socks on. Not sure. The shoes will either be black or I continue the gold scheme and maybe darken it more.

Oh, and I definitely need another coat on the red, as it turned out really blotchy and I’m hoping I can fix that up with some layers.

Wet palettes.

wp

 

So I read that wet palettes are this amazing thing, yada, yada. I went ahead and picked one up off of Amazon. Tried it out and “no” it did not change my world and make me see unicorns and rainbows.

Problem I was running into was that the paint often smeared/ran across the top layer of paper. Maybe I was thinning down the paint too much, who knows. It was also more bulky than the little circular palette I had really grown accustomed to. A couple tries later and I had given up on it.

Then I thought…what if I combined the two….

Wet Palette v2

img_7147

I cut the sponge material and paper into little bits. Then placed them inside my favorite circular palette. This seemed to be the best of both worlds. I wouldn’t be wasting large chunks of the special paper and I could use my own palette that has separate compartments. That kept the paint from running into each other. It seemed to work okay.  Again this was on a day that was extremely hot with a broken AC unit, so I did get some drying. I should have just wetted stuff again, but was a bit pressed for time, as the toddler started to wake early from her nap.

I have a feeling once the AC is fixed and we return to normal temperatures in the house, this solution will work out quite well.

The one advantage I would be losing is that the larger wet palette has a lid so that you can put your leftover paint away in the fridge and use it later. Supposedly up to a week. Given that I only get the chance to paint once a week at best and usually once every 3 weeks, the paint might not last that long and my wife would probably start asking why I have to keep a long tray in the fridge that is taking up space. I’ve also found I’m really conservative about using up my paint. I only use a small amount (special thanks to Vallejo’s eyedropper type bottles!) each time and if I do happen to have leftover, I immediately start looking for other minis to color or maybe add one more layer. Add “irrational fear of wasting paint” to my list of neurosis.

Thanks for reading along and I hope to share more insight as I go. Paint brushes is a likely subject to get included sometime soon. Depending on the craziness at our house, updates could be slow going, but I’ll keep pushing to make and share progress!

One thought on “Under the Slow Brush: pt. 1

Comments are closed.